Sunday, December 30, 2012

Shoe Song

It's a simple dream.  I have always wanted to own a pair of black boots.  I didn't need "fancy" ones made of leather or suede.  I didn't care if they were slouchy or sleek, zipper or sweater, high-heeled or flat...  I just wanted one glorious pair of black boots that came up higher than my ankle.  
You may be wondering what has been stopping me.  I'm not an extremely large person, but after more than a decade in musical theatre, I have two very muscular calves.  This poses a problem. Time and time again I have tried to fit my unnecessarily large legs into boots.  And time and time again I get the boot on my foot, I start to zip or pull it up, when suddenly...
I stop.  I know there is no possible way it will close any higher.  Pair after pair of lovely, trendy cold weather appropriate beauties lose their luster in my eyes.  I put them down, dejected.  I muster the strength to stand after having my hopes shattered, yet again.  Until...
Last night...  My husband, my 3 month old son and I were shopping at Kohl's with some gift cards we had received for Christmas.  We called this our date night and our plan was to pick out an outfit for each other.  As always, Dylan found 28 shirts to choose from, each for $2.  Meanwhile, I was stuck with 1 dress for $40.  Not a fair trade off if you ask me.  As we made our way around the store from men's clothing to home goods, we came upon the shoe section.  My eye instantly went to the black boots, standing tall among the sea of leather.  I only saw one pair that I liked.  It had no superfluous buckles or ruffles and the heels weren't too high.  I sat down and my husband treated me like Cinderella as we attempted to try this boot on.  We made it to my mid calf before giving up.  Still a little hopeful, I saw another pair that was acceptable.  That too failed.  
We walked the aisles and came across a pair of black boots made for someone with "my problem."  I appreciate what the designers were trying to do, but I never envisioned my dream-boots to look as if the back half of them were cut from a wet suit.  That was it. I gave up.  As Silas began to whimper hungrily in my arms, we decided to leave the store.  
That's when I saw them.  One single pair of black boots sat atop a shelf in the small Candie's section.  I gave Dylan a look, too timid to be hopeful.  I sat quickly as he grabbed the right size.  I slipped my foot all the way in.  Then he pulled it slowly over my ankle; so far so good.  He pulled up, and up and - it didn't stop.  This boot successfully made the long journey to just below my knee.  His eyes locked on mine, a slight smile on his lips.  I stood up, seeking out a mirror.  Finding one, I decided instantly.  This is the legendary boot I have been searching for!  By this time, my son seemed to believe he was starving to death, so we needed to leave.  But when we walked out the door, we held my long desired dream in our hands.  I tested them out at church this morning and I was Not disappointed.  I know it's silly, but it has always been my secret hope.  Perhaps it's just the slight heel, but today, I walk a little taller.

1 comment:

  1. If the boot fits; wear it. Those boots were made for walkin, and thats just what you'll do....congrats sweetie=love mama

    ReplyDelete